Friday, November 10, 2006

Getting to the line

It's been a hectic week with work and I feel like I could use a good 12 hour sleep. I have a half marathon this Sunday and although I want to run well I'm trying not to think about it too much.

I don't know if it's also your experience but the week prior to any race for me is the worst. I battle with real and imagined illnesses and generally come to the line in less than 100% condition. Can't tell you how many times I've manifested aches or pains or come down with colds the week prior to a race I'm really looking forward to.

I'm also checking the internet weather everyday looking for a dry and cool day. It has been forcasted to be Sunny all week and today three days before the half they changed the forcast to possible rain. I just have to shake my head and roll my eyes.

Anyway, I guess that is the game and we have to do our best. Still, there is just enough strange stuff happening too often before races, to get me thinking I might be sabotaging my efforts by getting sick and even changing the weather. Am I so powerful? Am I so vain and stupid? Or are there a variety of things at play here?

4 comments:

  1. Trying not to think about what ;-)

    I have a theory that the more nervous etc you are before a race the better prepared you are for that race. If you weren't in shape to have a good run you wouldn't be so worried.

    GOOD LUCK ON SUNDAY!!!!

    About the weather changing thing, we have this little problem of a drought down here .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found the best forecast is the one where you stick your head out the door on the morning of a race and take a look.

    Good luck - for the weather and the race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if you are so powerful then you have an equal chance of using your powers for good instead of evil ;-)

    Be calm - the rest will happen.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Scott - as the eperienced racer (of 1 race) I agree with the unusual symptoms. I had a sore calf the day before the race and a very upset stomach on the day. However both seemed to disappear once it started and I realised that I wasn't the slowest person there! Use that nervous energy.

    ReplyDelete