Friday, September 29, 2006

In the mind


Ran 4kms all sub 4mins today and did it with less effort than usual. I am trying to decide whether the fact that I've been doing strength work is making my sessions easier or is it simply because I'm thinking that the strength work ought to be helping and so I run better. After all, I've only been doing this extra work for 6 weeks.

I know a little of how the mind works to know that "thinking makes it so," within reason, and I'm interested in the "mental" side of sport. The main reasons I'm so attracted to long distance running is because it has so much of the "mental" in it, so to speak.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely running is about the mind games. Especially when you are talking 20+km.

    Pat Carroll is a big fan of virtualisation - for any distance. Even the 3km TT.

    He always tells us to visualise the event and how we are going to feel and what it is going to be like. It works wonders - well for me!

    mmmm those sticks in the marathon are quite thin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a good laugh at that cartoon Scott.

    In distance running you have a long time to use your mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep im in it for the same reasons Scott, hence my blogname.

    ReplyDelete