Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Mixed bag ahead of 10K race.


Sorry for the delay in posting here. A bit of a mixed bag ahead of my 10K race this coming Monday. The good news is that I’ve almost reach my goals vis-à-vis weight/body fat. Almost two months ago I was 64kgs, 18.9% body fat and 77cm around the middle and today I was 57kgs, 72cms around the guts and 13.6% body fat. Pretty impressive if I do say so myself, and it really should be interesting to see how I race at these new stats!

As for the training it has been going well too. I’ve been able to do most of the sessions coach “Tinman” has set me and the double sessions have gotten me pretty fit, and thin. My foot is still giving me trouble, hurting during and after runs, but I’m having the occasional day pain free, which is an improvement.

Last week I couldn’t do a full schedule of running as I injured myself further (Ran into a hip high steel pole that was there to block car traffic going onto the walking/running path.) The impact knocked me to the ground and boy did it hurt! The reason I didn’t see it was because I’m stupid and it was at night. It created a big painful bruise in my right quad muscle that has been changing color all week. But now it’s almost healed and I’m good to go!

Fingers crossed for a PB on Monday the 29th , I’ll post again before that. Below is a photo of my weight taken this afternoon. It was after a 14km run and a bath/sauna but amazing just the same, as I don’t remember ever being this light! I was 59kgs at 16 years old! Also I'll add a photo taken last Sunday of me and a few students as it shows how skinny I've gotten!








6 comments:

  1. Losing 7 kg in 2 months is rather amazing - I shed about 5 pounds in the same time frame when I try to get down to my own racing weight. Well done.

    Good luck on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely certain that you didn't run into that pole because your hips are bigger than you thought (which is sometimes my problem). It'll be interesting to see how this weight loss works for you - to see if this is your optimal racing weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice going old man. The weight of an elite Kenyan marathoner and 20kgs lighter than me - no wonder you're faster ;-)

    Glad the new programme is going well. I'm opening up the Centre Bet window and putting a lazy $5 on you to run 34:46.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you have taken that lazy money of yours from the clock, you were going to put it on, back on to me! That fills me with confidence and seems like where the smart money should be! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment on my Boston post.
    Wow, 57 is thin. That's great. I recently decided that thin is the way to get faster. I'm reading Tyler Hamilton's book, The Secret Race, about top-level bike doping (short version: they ALL did it - it's a really interesting book) and one trainer had three rules for success: you have to be very very fit, you have to be very very thin, and you have to keep your hematocrit levels up (red blood cells, which you do by using EPO). I'll ignore the third, but get serious about the first two. I'm going to aim for 58, which is uncharted territory for me, but I think I'm a bit taller than you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:52 PM

    good luck scott u thin b*stard:)

    ReplyDelete